Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Summer Recap

As much as I thought I was going to be diligent about updating this thing, I seem to have failed at regularity.  In any case, here is what I've been up to this summer.  

After finishing my mural at Trader Joe's I did smaller sign paintings.  They threw some pretty interesting projects my way and it turned out to be great experience.  I got to use a whole bunch of mediums including acrylic on plastic, soft pastels, acrylic, and pray paint on foam board, paint pens and the usual pen on paper. 

Here's a sign that I was pretty stoked about.  This one is a plastic insert to the egg case.  Originally it was just white with the words "Fresh Eggs" in a boring font.  We ended up turning the whole top of the egg case into a sign. 

I finished at Trader Joe's a few weeks ago and since then have been painting, packing and moving out of Stockton.

A few weekends ago I was helping Casey move into her new place in San Rafael.  I was in charge of making the book case look cool.  I think I accomplished that with the help of a furry baby animal. 

Here's a painting I did for the June art walk.  This was my first oil on canvas painting since the end of school.  It was really nice getting back into it and I did this one pretty fast.  It didn't sell at the art walk, but I think it was a blessing in disguise.  I'm donating it to my friend Joyce's organization, EducateOne.  It'll be on auction this Friday.  If you're around you should go to the event in Berkeley.  

Oh right...  The Newark house had a BBQ/ reunion.  It was a bunch of fun and they welcomed us with their own hospitality.  Here's a picture that somewhat sums up the dynamic of the house.  We had a giant sleep over and most of us hung out for a bit the next morning. 

The following day was the Download Festival.  Casey and I ended up missing Tapes n' Tapes, but we soon forgot about it when Yeasayer came on.  

Their set was brilliant.  The amazing band with a new and different sound created another new sound while keeping their sweet vibe.  They had us bobbing out heads and dancing the whole time.  I can't wait for their next album.  

So, I just left Stockton last weekend.  I was all ready for the move when my car realized I was leaving her and decided to throw the towel in, 6 days before my departure.  It was a pretty big blow to my moral and pocket, but I decided the only practical option was to donate her.  

This is one of the saddest pictures I have taken.  Goodbye Sharona, I had fun.  At least my carbon footprint has decreased by 80%.

My good friend Lexi commissioned me to do a couple paintings for her and Bobby for their new pad.  They wanted a feeling of Hawaii.  Here's the two...

This one reminds me of my childhood, having grown up on the east side of Oahu.  Its Chinaman's hat (I can fill you in on the tall tale if you need some background for the name) with Rabbit Island in the distance.  It's a 30 x 40 in. oil on canvas.  

Here is the second one.  This is the largest oil painting I've done - 36 x 48 in.  At first I wasn't sure about this one, but after spending some time with it I now love it.  I think it was just not my usual subject matter, but I really like the way it turned out.

Now I am in San Rafael with Casey.  I just finished a painting for my buddy Richmond, but that picture won't be posted until he gets it this weekend.   This past weekend we went on a little outdoor adventure in Roy's Redwoods. 


No comments: